Nan Khatai is a desi delicacy with a melt in mouth texture. These shortbread biscuits are equally popular both in Pakistan and India. I have wanted to bake and share this recipe since long, finally today was that day and trust me it will give you the taste just like the ones bought form bakery. Hope you will enjoy baking and eating these biscuits as much as I did!!!
1 & ½ cup (195 gm) all purpose flour
½ cup (60 gm) gram flour (baisan)
¼ tsp salt
1 cup (120 gm) icing sugar
1 cup (227 gm) ghee (clarified butter)
1 cup coarsely crushed roasted almonds
1 tsp green cardamom powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 & tsp baking powder
1 egg yolk
1) Melt the ghee in a pan, and then put it in the freezer for ½ an hour.
2) In a bowl sift all purpose flour, gram flour, baking powered and baking soda so that there is no lump, mix it all nicely.
3) In a another bowl beat together the ghee, cardamom powder, salt and icing sugar until light and smooth (for 2-3 minutes)
3) Now gradually add in the flour mixture to the ghee mixtures and mix it, rubbing with your hands until incorporated. Add in the crushed almonds and mix together.
4) Preheat oven to 180-190 C, place rack in centre of oven.
5) Make equal size balls out of dough and flatten slightly, beat the egg yolks and brush the dough balls.
6) Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the top of the cookies t start to brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 3-5 minutes.